Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ready to get married...?


IMG_8523i
Originally uploaded by ccswaringen.
Though I've already got the ring, the Guatemalan cooks at the children's home now think I (Christy) am ready to get married...because I've had a breakthrough in tortilla-making.

I've been going in to help Minga and Patti in the kitchen a couple times a week, and I've been trying to perfect the art of making a tortilla. Patti is amazing; she told me she makes about 500 tortillas a day (that's right, a day!). So, I've been working and working, and I think I've finally figured it out.

Patti makes it look so easy, but it's really a complicated process. Getting the right amount of dough, having it not stick to your hands and actually having it come out in a shape somewhat close to a circle are only a few of the obstacle's I've overcome.

But I've made it. I know this because Patti told me I need to learn to flip the tortillas on the stove that they cook them on. I figure that if she thinks I need to learn that, then she thinks I can actually make them! What a sweet victory!

PS-Check out the flickr site for more on how to make tortillas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).